Sort by date not working properly with one orderfixed column

Sort by date not working properly with one orderfixed column

pryxenpryxen Posts: 4Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited June 2023 in Free community support

Hi I have a datatable with one column that I assigned in orderFixed because I want to ignore the empty/null values and place them on the bottom of the table and it works very well. BUT I have a date column that I need to sort "desc" but it never works properly.

//var nameType = $.fn.dataTable.absoluteOrder({
//value: '', position: 'bottom'
//});

$('#draft_table').DataTable({
// columnDefs: [
//{ type: nameType, targets: 4 } // define 'name' column as non-empty-string type
//],
order: [[0, 'asc']], //date column
"orderFixed": [4, 'desc'] //string column that I want on top
}).draw();

As you can see in the image above, the Code column is properly sorted but the date is not sorted properly even if I click the sort arrow. Can anyone help me with this please. tia

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Can you provide a test case showing the issue and I can dig into it.

Thanks,
    Allan

• pryxenpryxen Posts: 4Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited June 2023

Hi Sir @allan, here is the JSFiddle of my code https://jsfiddle.net/pryxen/onf190g6/13/.
    As you can see, all in column "Code" that has a value are on top and it is what I want but I also want to sort it by column "Age" or column "Date" in ascending format but I can't achieve what I want. I already tried the other solution like using the jQuery.fn.dataTableExt.oSort but I can't make it work :( . The Code that only sort if I click the Date sort are the row that have the same Code. Can you help me please, I'm just new in using datatables so bear with me please. Thank you

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

You want to use the Absolute ordering plugin for that, rather than orderFixed. The example on that page should get you going,

Colin

edited June 2023

I already used the Absolute sir but I only want to sort the rows with code and just ignored the rows that has no value or null and just put it on the bottom. Is it possble sir? The picture below is the result after I initialize the table.
    With using the order: [[0,'asc']] you can see that the Age column of the rows that has a code is in ascending order but the rows that don't have any codes are on the top.

Please see my fiddle below.
    https://jsfiddle.net/pryxen/onf190g6/25/

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hmm - this is a tricky one. You want the ordering to be by the value in the column for some values, but to be by values in a different column for other values. That isn't something that DataTables can do I'm afraid. DataTables always sorts by the data in one column and then by another.

The closest I think we can get to what you are looking for is to treat all values in "Code" that aren't empty as the same value (so the sorting doesn't move those rows). Then second level sorting applied to the first column would allow then to sort correctly.

Here is an example of how to do that: https://jsfiddle.net/bsq47ra9/ .

The downside is that you cannot order on just the "Code" column (since everything with a non-empty value is treated as having the same value for sorting).

Allan

Thank you sir @allan. It really helps me a lot :)